Penitentiary Museum Location -- the Cheese Factory Building


The building was constructed in 1916 as a barn. This early picture shows its original appearance. It was remodeled in 1931 to house the cheese-making industry This included adding living quarters on the second floor and building a cooler around the northeast corner.
The main entrance to the Museum. The visitor enters directly into the gift shop, and then into the museum proper, which is located on the first floor of the building and includes almost 1700 sq. feet.
This aerial photo shows the location of the cheese factory building along the north wall of the institution. The area is level and allows ample space for parking and turning space for buses. Visitors are allowed to drive to the museum from North High Street only when the museum is open. A sign at the High Street entrance alerts the visitor whether the museum is open or closed.