1956/1958 — Institutional school program achieves official accreditation by the Department of Public Instruction. Industrial profits track at 6.02%. Roster lists Ray Purcell as warden, E. V. Hubbard as assistant warden, Roy Smith as deputy, and Rolland Brown as assistant deputy. 1958 census records 812 inmates. New powerhouse operational. 20-man 3rd-grade floating gang handles hard cinder labor. Governor H. Loveless attend the 8th annual AA banquet.
1959 — September census counts 862 inmates (788 in 1st grade, 50 in 2nd grade, 24 in 3rd grade, 8 lifers, and 87 inside the insane ward).
1958/1960 — Average population levels at 868 under Warden Purcell, Deputy Smith, and Business Manager Lloyd Hoyle Jr. Inmate labor constructs 6 replacement farm structures. Mental Health division adds specialized staff for a modern psychiatric track. Recreation programs are financed entirely via commissary store sales. Non-compulsory religious services reach 50% of the population.
1960/1962 — Roster requests clerical pool increases to relieve professional medical/psychiatric staff. Registered Nurse placed in charge of medical operations. Divinity students begin individual counseling tracks under 2 full-time chaplains. Government surplus tools equip auto body and motor mechanics trade schools. Vacant since 1918, the old female department building is renovated for academic classrooms; old powerhouse converted for recreation. Proposed construction seeks a separate warden residence, new farm barns, and exterior garages.
1958-1962 Insane Ward Crisis — Legislative reviews label the insane ward "an appalling situation," discovering untreated prisoners held up to 50 years without trial, dating back 85 years. A $375,000 grant sets up a temporary psychiatric unit under Dr. Joseph Stomel, but staff retention fails and the unit reverts to custody guards and a part-time visiting doctor. Captain Lawrence LaBarge appointed associate warden over insane ward custody. Board of Control proposes building a dedicated off-site Security Hospital.
1962/1964 — Annual per capita cost is $1,500. Focus shifts toward rehabilitation via social services, psychological tests, and sports. Over 500 men pursue structured hobbies (leatherwork, painting, writing, ceramics). 330 men attend night school taught by Cedar Rapids instructors. Heavy equipment operation school added. 40-bed minimum-security Luster Heights camp opens at Yellow River State Park in July 1963 for reforestation work. Anamosa Chamber of Commerce tours the site Sept 1963. Salary scales remain marginal.
1963 — October: A severe inmate disturbance causes heavy layout damage. Fires are set inside the tailoring shop, the canning facility is damaged, and inmates seize the motor school to crash two trucks in the yard. Order is restored after several hours with zero loss of life. Warden Ray Purcell announces retirement effective the following May.
1964 — Following the retirement of Warden Purcell, Charles Haugh is appointed the new warden, bringing a progressive correctional philosophy to the regular programming. Roster averages 440 inmates with 260 full-time staff. The central theme shifts to a "team approach" with a behavior modification orientation, emphasizing inmate responsibility. Inmates are permitted to wear personal clothing, and the practice of stamping identification names and numbers onto clothing is discontinued. Formalized grievance procedures are established, and structured inmate organizations (Jaycees, Phoenix, Check Writers Association, Indian Culture, Black Culture) are permitted. Additionally, the Level Incentive Program launches, rewarding responsible conduct and programmatic involvement with increased privileges and reduced supervision. Temporary warden assignment for Benjamin Baer also concluded in June of this year.
1968 — The North Cellhouse is officially condemned. Director of Treatment role assumed by John Sissel earlier in April.
1969 — the criminally insane, who had been housed at Anamosa since 1936, are moved permanently to the specialized Oakdale medical facility.